My Top Tips For Flying Solo

Tips For Flying Solo

Flying can be a complicated and lets face it, really stressful experience.
When you are travelling in a group of people the pressure can be taken off slightly and things don't always seem to be as bad but all that can change when you are flying solo.

Flying solo is something I had never done until near the end of 2012. I was very used to being on planes and the whole process of going through the airport but I always had my family around to tell me if I was going wrong and take care of the big things, such as tickets, passports and of course... luggage.

When I started flying alone I adapted to the whole process very quickly and I thought I would put together some of my top tips to help any newbies - or old hands - to get used to the process more quickly.

1. Don't Stress - it's not worth it
There really is no point in stressing about the whole thing. It will make everything worse and you will just get yourself into a tizzy. Very soon you will be on board your plane flying to your destination and that's all you have to focus on.

2. Leave Plenty Of Time
The worst thing you could do is leave yourself pushed for time. Rushing around an airport is the single worst thing anybody could do. I always leave more time than I should just in case anything happens on the way, such as road works. Being relaxed is the key to travelling solo.

3. Be Prepared For Security Checks
Have all your liquids in a bag that is the approved size. All the information about the requirements for hand luggage can be found online so it's not too difficult to find. Make sure this sealed bag is at the top of your hand luggage and have it in your hand before you get to the scanners at the security area. I also like to remove my jewellery, coat and any belts in advance. This will make the process so much easier and will save you faffing around.

4. Be Prepared For Delays
They sometimes happen and they sometimes don't but I always like to have a book - or whatever you like to do to pass the time - with me so that i'm not sitting looking around me. I am rather good at passing the time on my own but having some items with you can help and will save you spending lots of money in the airport.

5. Double Check Flight Details Before Leaving Home
Make sure you know all your flight details before leaving the house. I have heard horror stories of some people turning up at the wrong airport and therefore, missing their flight. It takes a few minutes to triple check times and details before leaving.

6. Have An Extra Copy Of Your Ticket
I know lots of companies out there have digital tickets now - e-tickets - but I always like to have paper copies of my tickets because i'm old fashioned. I also worry that one copy is going to get destroyed so I like to have multiple copies of my outbound and homeward bound tickets.


There are only some tips for flying solo but i'm sure there are many more. Are there any important ones you think I have missed?


Come Fly With Me


No comments:

Post a Comment