It's Okay To Say No


It's Okay To Say No

I don't know about you but to me it seems that there is so much pressure surrounding us all in this day and age. We can feel that we need to please those around us most of the time and sometimes it can be hard to keep up with everything.

I know that saying no is quite a negative way to go about things but for me it doesn't always have to be put across that way. We are all allowed to say no to things and not have it feel like it's having a negative impact on us.


I have always been a firm believer that it is okay to say no to people. I can remember my mum teaching me that 'it's okay to say no' from when I was in primary school and it is something that I have never forgotten. In fact, it's a general rule of thumb that I like to apply to my life daily.

Now don't get me wrong, it is such a pleasure to be invited out to places with my friends and I cherish those offers that I receive but I also rest easy in the knowledge that I am perfectly within my right to turn down an invite should I see fit.

Saying no at first can feel very harsh and sometimes just plain wrong. I mean at the end of the day we are rejecting a kind offer from a friend, or even a family member which we are very lucky to receive in the first place. I can promise you though, there is nothing wrong with wanting to stay in those jammies and keep watching the movie that you have on the telly. 

Sometimes people can feel that saying no is hurting the other persons feelings and to a certain extent I guess it can but if your friend really is your friend then they will understand and realise that you have every right to say no to the plans on offer.

As I say this, I feel that I must add within reason! If your plans have been made weeks in advance it is very rude to suddenly just turn them down. This freedom to say no does really relate more to spontaneous plans that you didn't know were going to happen. Those plans allow us the freedom to say no!

I know this is a very rambly post and in many ways it doesn't make the greatest of sense but I really just wanted to say that we shouldn't all have to feel like yes is the only answer to the questions we get asked. Saying no should not result in awkwardness or anger from our friends it should simply be met with kindness and understanding. Saying no is perfectly okay.



How do you feel about saying no?



No can be just as positive as yes


No comments:

Post a Comment