Top Tips For Uni Students




The season for freshers to start uni is nearly upon us and as someone who spent four years studying hard - I really did - and enjoying the life that uni has to offer I thought I was in the perfect position to put together some tips and advice for getting the most out of your university experience.


1. You Will Feel Like A Little Fish In A Big Pond

Don't be surprised that you will feel lost at first. The thing to try and remember is that there are thousands of people who are starting out just as you are. You are not alone so even though you might feel it, don't let it be a reason to hold you back.

2.  You Will Meet People You May Never Have Otherwise

The beauty of university is that it sees people from all backgrounds, cultures and beliefs coming together under one roof. This allows you to meet people and make friends that you might never have done in other circumstances. This is your opportunity to learn about people and cultures you may never have had or will have the chance to learn about again.

3. Try and Stay In Halls (Dorms) If You Can

I really cannot recommend this enough! For me it allowed me to fully immerse myself in the university experience. It felt that I was a proper student. I could make my room my own and it was my little space away from home that allowed me to feel comforted, yet study hard at the same time. The people you meet and the independence you learn from living in a shared environment is invaluable and for me is an integral part of the whole university experience.

4. You Should Work Just As Hard As You Play

This one is key! Most people think of students and partying comes along in the same breath. Whilst it is true that students like to go out and have fun, I have to recommend that you balance it out and try to work as hard as you play. Reward yourself with a night out with friends if you have completed all your work tasks. This is your opportunity to prove to yourself that you can achieve anything you want to achieve - all you have to do is put the hard work in.

5. Use It As a Chance To Learn a New Skill Or Improve An Old One

This is your chance to learn a new skill such as cooking or if you already know how to cook improve on it. When I started university I already knew the basics of how to cook from my mum, I was able to use the experience as a chance to cook for my friends in halls and when I moved into a house and had housemates I liked to take on the role of cooking dinner every night. It doesn't have to be cooking it can be anything - such as joining a choir or learning a martial art - but university isn't just about learning your chosen degree subject, learn something else as well!

6. Don't Be Scared To Ask For Help

Just because you are a university student and you are supposed to now be an adult and learn 'independently' that doesn't mean you can't ask for help. The friends you make in your classes are all going through the same things as you and if you put your heads together you will be able to come up with the right answers. You never have to go through anything alone!

What About You?

Have you been to uni and have any advice? Have you any questions that you would like me to try and answer? Let me know in the comments below :) 


This Is The Start Of A Brand New Adventure

No comments:

Post a Comment