8 Things I've Learnt From Being Home Alone For Two Weeks


Calendar, Alone, Home, Lessons, Learnt

So, for the past two weeks my parents have been away sunning themselves in Lanzarote - I know how lucky are they - which meant that I was on dog sitting duties. From the outset this seemed like a piece of cake but the reality was something quite different. I thought that it would be fun to put together a list of things that i've learnt from being home alone.

1. Four dogs can be alot to handle
I don't live in the biggest house and I don't have the biggest yard so having four dogs can feel very over whelming at times. My dogs also never stay outside, it's just not what we've ever done with them as there is usually someone here to keep an eye, so it can feel like you don't have a second to think when you have to keep an eye on all four at once. I never realised before how having my mum and dad around meant that all I really had to do was make sure Molly was okay. Having only two eyes means your brain is constantly thinking about where everybody is.

2. My mum is constantly doing things
This sounds stupid as obviously I know my mum is always kept busy but in reality I never really knew how much she had to handle until I had to deal with it all myself. She manages to keep this house looking spick and span whilst dealing with the destruction my dad and I cause and the four dogs as well as feeding us beautiful meals everyday. I really don't know how she does it as in two weeks i've barely managed to keep up.

3. Sleep is very underrated!
I always have been a good sleeper but I was never very good at going to bed early. Well I can tell you that having so much to do in a day, especially days where I am at work as well has meant that I can barely keep my eyes open past half past nine. Either i'm getting old or being an adult is just too much to handle! Unfortunately I have been up many times in the night as my eldest dog needs to pee alot but I never realised how much of a toll this can take on your body. My mum and dad usually always handle these nightly pee excursions as I sleep with Molly in my room and never know what's going on. I have such an appreciation for what they do and I now know why they can seem exhausted when I have slept so well.

4. I cannot cook for one! 
I love to cook, I really do! I did a vast majority of the cooking when I living with my friends at uni and I loved it. Something I knew then but have confirmed this week is that I really struggle to just cook for myself. I end up making so much that I have to give most of it away to family as I would never finish it all myself!

5. I talk to my mum way more than I realised
I know I talk to my mum alot but over these past two weeks I have realised just how much. I literally tell her everything. There have been so many things that I have just wanted to tell her recently and she hasn't been here. We have been talking alot on the phone but I like talking to her face to face so that I can tell her trivial things like "this actor in the show we love is also in this show we love isn't that cool" sounds like nonsense but I love it really.

6. I consume far less tea on my own
My mum drinks quite a bit of tea is has to be said - also can you see a pattern forming here. She is always offering to make cups of tea for my dad and me, I never realised just how much she did this until she wasn't here. I barely have had any tea since she has been away, I just don't think to drink any as nobody suggests it.

7. I never realised how much attention the dogs crave!
I know dogs love attention - I have my own attention seeking four legged friend like - but I never realised just how much attention all four of them together could require. Bentley - the collie - tends to leap on me whenever he feels and Missy - the golden retriever, alsatian cross - will climb all over me in bed to make sure i'm awake. Now Missy is a big dog, she'd be well over 5feet on her hind legs so you can imagine how much of a problem this could be!

8. I watch very little tv on my own - only DVDs
As I remember I did the same when I was at Uni. I tend to stick to watching DVDs and avoiding any real television. The only thing I have been tuning in for since I have been on my own is Geordie Shore - total guilty pleasure - and that's been it. I sometimes have the breakfast shows on when I am getting ready for work but even then i'm not really watching it.


There we have it. Eight things I have learnt since being on my own these past two weeks.
Is there anything that you have learnt from being on your own?


Home is where my parents are!

No comments:

Post a Comment