Molly Diaries | Feeding The Hounds




Today's post is going to be all about the feeding of the four most precious things in my life - dogs!

Feeding time in my house as i'm sure you can imagine is anything but easy, With four very hungry dogs running around my feet everyday it can be very easy to forget what I am doing especially as each dog needs different amounts to either maintain or gain weight along with some requiring supplements and tablets.

Today I am going to run through the requirements for all four but leave specific reviews for another day. 

Each day the dogs get two meals - this is really one large meal that has been split into two because that's just the way we like to feed them. The first meal usually consists of wet food and mixer and the second meal is usually either complete meal on it's own or complete with some left over scraps from the 'human' dinner table.


As I have said feeding four at once can be a handful so it helps to be organised. I always arrange everything I need on the kitchen table before I get started, This is usually the tub full of mixer, the wet food - which in this case happens to be three tins - the bowls, a spoon and a measuring cup.

I use the measuring cup to be accurate with the amount of mixer that I am giving to each dog as we have had weight issues with our biggest two in the past and to aid their weight reduction it is much easier to be accurate with their food quantities. After some research my mother and I have come up with the following amounts:

- Missy (Alsatian Cross) 3 cups of mixer a day
- Ben ( Boxador - Boxer/Labrador) 2 and a half cups of mixer a day
- Molly (Spaniel Cross) 2 cups of mixer a day
- Bentley (Small Collie) 2 cups of mixer a day

Bentley has only been with us for 7 weeks and was severely starved and underweight so we are currently in the process of trying to put some weight on him to build him up. To do this we feed him only complete mixer twice a day so that works out as having an extra meal each day.

For the first meal I usually give each dog the following amounts of mixer:

- Missy - 1 or 2 cups (depending on how I am feeling)
- Ben -  1 and a half cups
- Molly - 1 cup
- Bentley - 1 cup

Once all of the meal has been put into each bowl I then set to work on adding the wet food. Missy and Ben share half a tin of wet food each - so one tin a day between them. Bentley and Molly then get a third of a tin a day.


Once mixed together each dog is then fed in their own part of the kitchen to ensure that they don't eat each others and they all have peace to eat quietly.

I know this probably isn't of any interest to most but Molly and I just wanted to share an insight into our daily routine.

Woof Woof Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment