Disney Series #5 - Being Techy at Disney!


Disney, Walt Disney World, My Disney Experience, Tech, Technology, Advice

Before this trip the last time I had been at Walt Disney World I was 11. Technology wasn't what it was today - which is a strange sentence to say considering I am only 26 but then again, it was 15 years ago.

My parents had been telling me that when we were last there you would go up to a ride to book a fast past and be printed a little paper receipt to let you know when you could go back and use it. My how things have changed.

Technology has really improved the Disney experience and their goal is to make things flow as smoothly as possible for those in the parks. Having long queues is something that they are not big fans of - unless it is unavoidable like with some of the rides in Animal Kingdom. 

I thought I would put together some of my top tips for making the most out of your tech at Disney World!

1. Walt Disney World WiFi
Walt Disney World have their own wifi network through all of the parks. I had read up about this a little before I went and lots of people said it was unreliable and barely worked. I have to say that it was pretty great for everything that I needed, which was uploading the odd Instagram photograph and checking the My Disney Experience App.

2. My Disney Experience App
This is the one thing that you have to make use of when you are in Walt Disney World. The app lets you into the Disney World in every aspect. Your tickets connect straight to the app and connects you to Memory Maker, Fast Passes and dining reservations with ease. They also have connected to Google maps to allow you to plan your journeys and get directions when needed. Very handy!

3. Memory Maker
This was included in our ticket as we bought the 14 day pass for the price of 7. Memory Maker is very simply photo pass opportunity. Around each of the parks there are professional photographers standing in various locations, including in front of the big landmarks, with characters and in some secluded spots also. You can go up to them to have your photograph taken and they then scan your ticket - or if you have one your magic band. The photo's then go straight to your My Disney Experience app and you have until a certain date to retrieve the photographs. The photo's themselves will tell you how long you have to download them. Don't forget you can also log into My Disney Experience via the Disney Website to download your photo's.

Disney, Walt Disney World, My Disney Experience, Tech, Technology, Advice


4. Fast Passes
Fast Passes are a must - if there is a ride you want to do you need to try and get a fast pass for it. It just makes life so much simpler. If you are staying on Disney property you can book your fast passes up to 60 days in advance - the entire duration of your trip. If you are staying off property you can do it 30 days in advance - this is day by day. I think I will go into a more in-depth post about fast passes and how they work but you can make amendments and changes on the app whilst you are in the parks - it's great.

5. Mobile Food Ordering
Now something that I didn't use myself but I have heard quite a few good things about is the ability to order your food via your mobile at some of the Disney quick service restaurants. You simply access the menu on the MDE app and place your order, from anywhere in the park. You can then let the restaurant know when you are near and they will prepare your food. Once it is ready they will send you a notification and you can collect from the designated mobile order window. As I said, this was something that I didn't make use of on this trip but I think it sounds very handy for eating in a hurry.

6. Fuel Rods for Recharging
Again this is not something that I used in the parks but I did consider it many times. Having charge in your phone is something that you will need for checking fast passes on the app and taking lots of photographs. You can bring your own portable charger with you but one thing that Disney do have are portable phone charging systems. For $30 you can buy a charger at one of their kiosks and when it runs out of power, you can either charge it round the parks at one of their power points. OR - the much cooler option - you can swap it for a fully charged one, at no extra cost! There are machines located at various points round the resort where you can deposit your dead fuel rod and receive a brand new charged one! Recycling at its finest!

These are my top facts about being more techy in Walt Disney World.
Do you have any tech advice?

Magic is real...

No comments:

Post a Comment