What's on My Face Wednesday #1


I have decided to start a new series of posts called What's on My Face Wednesday. Every Wednesday (or as many as I can manage) I will endeavor to review and highlight the products I have used to create my makeup look for the day.

Below is how my makeup turned out this week... a typical look for me with the addition of a fishtail plait in my hair :)






First Thing's First

For my first post I will be listing everything down to my moisturiser (along with reviews). This may not be the same case every week as I tend to use the same products for weeks on end when I really find the ones I like.



The Products

Step 1. Prep The Skin

After washing my face I applied the Boots No7 Essential Moisture Day Cream. I love this moisturiser. It has a very soft and creamy consistency which sinks into the skin but does not leave it greasy. It allows the feeling of a deep moisturisation and works fabulously as a base under make-up.

Once I had allowed my moisturiser time to sink in I applied the Maybelline Baby Skin: Instant Pore Eraser - Primer. I apply this primer all over the face but particularly over areas of dry skin, blemish areas or spots. I take care not to rub but smooth it over the face. I am slightly undecided as to whether or not I would repurchase this primer (I can safely say it's not entirely my favourite). With that being said it does seem to extend the life of my foundation - provided my foundation of choice isn't overly dewy in finish.

Step 2. Foundation


The next step is to apply foundation. My foundation of choice for this day is the Maybelline Super Stay 24 in Light Beige. As with the primer I am having difficulty with this foundation. There are days when I love it and there are days when I find it too dewy and hard to work with. 

This turned out to be a day that I enjoyed it. It has a build-able coverage provided you apply it with the right tool. I learnt this the hard way after trying a variety of brushes. My tool of choice is the Paul's Boutique Blender Sponge (review of that coming soon). It does have a dewy finish which I find to feel greasy at times which is why I choose to set it with a powder.

Step 3. Eyebrows


Whilst my foundation is drying I always like to fill in my eyebrows. To do this I run through them with a spooly and then fill them in with an eyeshadow, finally finishing off with a brow gel. At the moment my powder of choice is MAC Espresso. I am not a natural blonde so my eyebrows are naturally quite dark, I like adding this brown eyeshadow to give them depth and I like the contrast. I then set them with the Maybelline Brow Drama in medium brown. I love how this product works. It is not too thick and the applicator is really interesting to use. It is both thick and thin allowing the perfect application through the brow area.

Step 4. Eyes


Eye make-up is very important to me. I never do just a simple eye - I always use lots of blended eye shadows and have a very dark outer corner. It is just who I am and what I like.

For my look today I reached for my handy Urban Decay Naked Basics Palette. I love these eye shadows. There is something that Urban Decay does that cannot be entirely replicated. Yes people can come close and I tend to use my MUA palettes a lot in the hope I can keep my Urban Decay ones for longer but when I come back to my Naked Palettes I always see why I love them.

The consistency of the product is incredible, almost creamy and so pigmented it's difficult to explain. A little eye shadow goes a long way. I love my basics palette it has been used so often and most of the shades I have hit pan with.

I use a pencil eyeliner on my water and tight lines and then today I chose a felt tip liner to line my top lids. The Rimmel Scandeleyes Kohl Liner is my staple pencil liner and I find it incredibly difficult to change. They are so soft and creamy and have lasting power, staying on my water line all day even when I have watery eyes. I love the pigmentation and I just couldn't imagine not using this liner. 

The felt tip liner of choice today is the Boots 17 Make Your Mark Liner. I have been impressed with this liner. Although the nib is quite hard and doesn't have much give in it, it does create a very deep black line on the eyes. It doesn't smudge easily once dried and lasts all day - which is what I need from an eyeliner.

I then curl my eyelashes. I'm not going to review these eyelash curlers as I cannot remember where I got them. They are pretty good though. Next we have mascara. I am so fussy with mascara. I like my eyelashes to be separated, not thickly covered and not clumpy! Finding a mascara to stand up to this challenge is an increasingly difficult task - especially if you do not want to spend a fortune. The Collection Big Fake Curves is doing the job well. Some days it just does not work but I think that has to do with using a liquid eyeliner more than the mascara. The applicator is interesting as it is large and cylindrical at the top which seems like it would be difficult to use but it's actually not too bad. The colour pay off is pretty good too with the black being deep and very black indeed.


Step 5. Concealer


I have gone back and forth with concealers for a long time. I have recently gone back to the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer - in Fair and Cool Medium. Every time I come back to this concealer I remember why I love it and never know why I change. The coverage is incredible. Easy to blend, opaque and lasts throughout the day. There is no greasy residue. I just love it. Go and buy it and see what I mean.


Step 6. Powder, Bronzer and Blusher


Once I have concealed my face I like to use the Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Power in Transparent to set my foundation. I have been using this powder for years. I simply cannot bring myself to changing instead I just keep re-purchasing. It has a matte coverage which I love, can't be seen on the skin and feels silky smooth. Rimmel powders are hard to beat!

I then apply No.7 Dual Bronzer (as you can tell mine has seen better days). I like this bronzer as it has little to zero shimmer and adds a simply hint of colour. Although not perfect for contouring as it doesn't have the grey undertone it does work well if you are in a rush. The packaging is gorgeous too as it comes with a mirror compact.

Finally on my face I add a hint of blusher. My go to blusher of choice currently is the No, 7 Natural Blush Tint Powder. This powder is light and adds the perfect hint of colour. Gives a warm look and the colours available are excellent.

Step 7. Lips


Today I decided to keep my lips simple and wear lip liner on it's own. My choice today was the Natural Collection Lip Liner in ruby rose. This pencil is soft and easy to apply especially if you are filling in the lips for an all over colour like I did. I like this pencil both for price and quality.

There You Have It

That is everything that is on my face this Wednesday. I hope to be back next week with some different products from my make-up bag.

Make-Up Is Truly Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment