Thought Of The Day | Friendship



Friendship and having friends has always been something that I have never taken for granted. Growing up as an only child I was used to spending lots of time by myself and I was never really used to going out and playing with other kids. On top of this I was quite shy - i'm not sure if my mum would agree but I always felt and I still do feel that when I was plunged into a situation with new people I found it difficult to make conversation and get to know people. Once I know people I am great and chat away but the initial stage is something I struggle with.

Therefore, with this in mind when I was going through school I obviously found it incredibly difficult to make friends. I can honestly say that I didn't make proper friends until I went to secondary school. This meant that I have never taken my friends or my friendships for granted.


"A Friend Is One Of The Nicest Things You Can Have"

As I write this it is currently 6 days until my 23rd birthday and I can honestly say that I am very lucky to have an amazing group of friends around me that I love. I have both male and female friends and I can rely on them to pick me up when I am down, listen to me when I have to rant and generally just look after me.

Sometimes it can be so easy to get wrapped up in our lives and with what's going on with our careers, or at school, or whatever it is we are doing with ourselves, that we forget to take a step back for a moment and appreciate what we already have.

Over the past few months I have been so lucky to have the most amazing bunch of friends around me to celebrate my highs and pick me up from my lows - I honestly don't know what I would do without them.


What Is It To Be a Good Friend?

There isn't an exact formula for being a good friend. I personally think it's important to be the kind of friend to others that you want to have yourself. It's also important to remember that it's the small things in life that mean the most to people.

Always remember that one of your friends might be having a day where they are quite down but don't necessarily want to talk about it - your small act of kindness could be the thing that turns their day around.

Never forget to be there for your friends and those around you. I'm not saying that their happiness should be more important than your own but it should occur to you that a simple text message asking how they are could be the difference between a meaningless day and a day which has a purpose.

Friendship Shouldn't Be An Afterthought

No comments:

Post a Comment