The World Just Became A Little Less Special


It's not everyday that you can say "The World Just Became A Little Less Special". I however, feel that with the passing of Wing Commander Bill McCrea, this statement is in every way true.

A True Gentleman

Bill McCrea was one of the kindest and most gentle human beings I have ever had the good fortune to meet. He was an extremely accomplished individual who throughout his 93 years on this earth had experienced things many of of us will never have to, or need to experience.

Bill was amongst many other wonderful things a very courageous individual. I say this because volunteering to join the RAF in order to fight in World War II, without a thought for your own safety, is to me something which only a special kind of person could have done. He made it very clear that if he was meant to return to complete his studies at Queen's University Belfast then he would. 

It is at this moment that I wish to thank Bill for his services. He did as many men did back then, he put the needs of his country present and future before his own. He was brave and true to what Britain needed at that time. They needed him and he rose to the challenge. He had a hand in gaining my freedom today and for that I will forever be eternally grateful. 


An Accomplished Author

Another quality of Bill's which I admire more than anything is that he never let anything stop him. Whether that be age or simply the fact that most "normal" people wouldn't do these things because they reckon that they can't. I am of course speaking of his book - A Chequer-Board Of Nights. (Which can be purchased on Amazon)

A Very Sad Day

Now that I have had time to reflect on what has happened I know that it was all for the best. Bill was at a point in his life where he had experienced all he had wanted to experience. He had a beautiful wife, fabulous children and a family most people can only dream of. This being said however, It does not take away from the sad realisation that the world has lost a hero and a true gentleman. 

It can safely be said that...

The World Just Became A Little Less Special!

No comments:

Post a Comment